This post contains *PR-Samples and affiliate links. For more info please read disclaimer.
Abbrevations are always a source of amusement for me. As are alliterations (see what I did there?), but for a different kind of reason. The abbrevations you use tell a lot about where you are coming from and, as there are multiple uses for most of them, can lead to quite some confusion.
Take TCD for example. For the longest time, a TCD to me was a transcranial Doppler, something you do in neurosurgical patients to evaluate cerebral bloodflow. Google told me that TCD could as well mean Tschad or Trinity College Dublin.
So if I tell you now that the Instytutum Flawless Skin Mask works with TCD, which image pops up in your head? Well, let me explain what TCD stands for in this case: Transdermal cosmetic delivery, a method that allows ingredients to better penetrate the skin. There are several ways to achieve that, like using ingredients that weaken skins barrier function (alcohol for example) or using specific low molecular weight ingredients. Or, and I assume that this is what is used here, combining the low molecular weight ingredients with an occlusive layer on top.
So how did the Instytutum Flawless Skin Mask * work for me?
What Instytutum claims
INSTYTUTUM´s hydrolyzed collagen second skin mask uses the innovative transdermal cosmetic delivery (tcd) technology which is activated by the skins temperature to achieve a better penetration of the highly effective ingredients into the skin.
The translucent skin mask contours closely to the face to deliver a powerful complex of the peptide argireline, collagen matrix and a botanical complex to significantly moisturize and refine visible pores, restore elasticity and achieve an immediate tightening effect on the skin. Your skin looks flawless after just one application.
Prize and size
One box contains 5 masks and retails for 69 $ on the website here. And yes, if you do the maths, one use will set you back 14 $. And there is of course no way you could reuse them.
Texture and smell
Unlike other sheet masks, this one is made from a rubber like substance that molds onto your face. As it is a two piece, I had no issues adjusting it to fit my features. But if you, like me, are used to multi-task when doing your facials (vacuum with a sheet mask, doing the dishes with a peel on), this one will force you to take things slow. With the skins warmth, it gets softer, and while this is great for fitting to your skin, it also means that it has a tendency to slide off when you are too active. But rest assured, watching Netflix is entirely possible!
Application and effects
Flawless skin after one use? Too good to be true, of course, but immediately after I removed the mask my skin felt firm, looked plump and surprisingly well rested. Which may be down to the fact that I, well, actually rested for 30 minutes. The positive effects were noticeable for up to three days, making the mask a great preparation for a special event.
- Glycerin: Humectant, draws moisture to the skin
- Hydrolyzed Collagen: Hydrating (collagen applied topically does not increase the building of collagen in your skin!)
- Sodium Hyaluronate: Hydrating, smaller form of hyaluronic acid with deeper penetration
- Acetyl Hexapeptide-8: Agireline, “natural botox”
- Isomalt: Humectant, improves penetration of other ingredients
- Portulaca Oleracea Extract: Brightening, antioxidant
- Chamomilla Recutita: Soothing
- Mannan: Moisturizing, forms gel
- Ceratonia Siliqua Gum: Emollient
- Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate: Anti-inflammatory, treatment for atopic dermatitis
- Butylene Glycol: Humectant, helps skin lock in moisture
- Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture Extract: Apple stem cells. Anti-oxidant
- Rhododendron Ferrugineum Leaf Cell Culture Extract: Stem cells. Anti-oxidant
- Polysorbate 80: Emulsifying
- Potassium Hydroxide: pH adjusting
- Disodium EDTA: Binding Agent
- Phenoxyethanol: Preservative (1% mark)
- Xanthan Gum: Improves viscosity
- Lecithin: Emulsifier
Does it live up to its claims?
Not the flawless skin after one use claim of course, but it has all the ingredients to back up the rest and my face felt noticeably firmer. Always a good thing when you are in your late 30s.
Would I repurchase?
It is a very nice mask that I enjoy using, but I can´t really justify spending this much on five face masks.
Who do I recommend it to?
People that want a mask to get ready before a special event and that obviously have the budget.
Did you catch my latest vlog already?