This blog post contains PR-Samples and affiliate links. Please read disclaimer
How honest are reviews supposed to be? I mean, really honest of course, at least in terms of ingredients, quality and effects on the skin.
But do you have to mention everything that comes to mind when talking about a product? I don´t think you do, but to let you be the judge, I will include one thought that might not entirely be selling the pixi Retinol Tonic. Even though I, spoiler alert, love it.
(P.S: If you want to read a review on the pixi Glow Tonic, click here)
It is the scent. It is pleasant, very light and doesn´t linger. Lavender with a bit of freshness (maybe the Jasmine? I am lost when it comes to fragrance).
But, paired with the light lavender color I can´t help but think of our all natural Frosch Lavendel Bathroom Cleaner.
A bathroom cleaner I love, but probably wouldn´t apply to my face.
Totally not selling it here, am I? Let´s see if I can still convince you that the pixi Retinol Tonic is all kinds of awesome after this introduction…
What pixi claims
This potent youth preserving tonic features a unique time-release Retinol to help rejuvenate the skin for a natural glow. Powerful antioxidants and botanicals replenish the skin for a smoother, softer appearance while soothing sensitive skin.
Prize and size
Texture and smell
A watery texture with a slight lavender hue and scent.
Application and effects
I just pour a little bit into the palm of my hands and press it onto the skin at night, but a cotton pad would work fine as well. There is no tingling, irritation or redness with continuos use.
- Glycerin: Humectant
- Propanediol: Increases penetration of other ingredients, Humectant
- Methyl Gluceth-20: Humectant
- Panthenol: Vit. B 5, humectant, penetrates into deep layers of skin, moisturizing, antiinflammatory
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate: A stabilized form of Vitamin C, linked to collagen synthesis
- Sodium Hyaluronate: Hydrating, smaller form of hyaluronic acid with deeper penetration
- Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Flower Water: Antioxidant
- Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis Flower Extract: Antioxidant
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-27: Peptide. While other palmitoyl tripeptides do increase Collagen production, I have not found data on this specific one
- Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin: Stabilizes antioxidants, humectant, brightening,
- Retinol: deactivates the matrix metalloproteinases that break down collagen, increases cell turnover, and improves skin’s moisture retention
- Caprylic/ Capric Triglyceride: Occlusive
- Rosemary leaf water: invigorating scent
- PEG-8: Surfactant
- Lecithin: Emulsifier
- Sodium Acrylates Copolymer: Emulsifier
- Phenoxyethanol: Preservative
- Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower/Leaf Extract: Fragrance
- Lavandula Angustifolia Leaf/Flower/Stem Extract: Fragrance
- Eugenia Caryophyluss Flower Extract: Fragrance
- Vitis Vinifera Fruit Extract: Natural preservative
- Sodium Citrate: pH adjuster
- PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil: Emulsifying
- Disodium EDTA: Binding Agent
- Citric Acid: pH adjuster
- Polysorbate 20: Surfactant
- Ethylhexylglycerin: Preservative
Retinol, Vitamin C, humectants and soothing ingredients to combat premature aging along with some plant extracts for fragrance. There is one peptide in the formula that belongs to the collagen stimulating group (more on peptides in skincare here), so the formula seems to be targeted at more mature skin.
Does it live up to its claims?
I can´t vouch for the „unique time-release retinol“ of course, but retinol in general needs to be processed to retinoic acid in the skin, meaning that the effects are not instant, but occur over time.
Would I repurchase?
I like it, but my skin is well adjusted to retinol and I am used to a stronger concotion after being on a prescription for a while. This one is great for upkeep though.
Who do I recommend it to?
I think this formula is targeted at retinol beginners or people with very reactive skin that have issues using other retinol products. While you could of course use it in your early twenties, I think people 25 or older would see the most benefits from using it.