This blog post uses affiliate links. Please read disclaimer.
I admit, most company claims make me roll my eyes to the back of my head. Products allegedly shaving years of your face, singlehandedly tightening the skin around your jaw line so you look like your teenage self while transforming your undereyes from “Tired mom on a Monday” to “Bombshell on a tropical vacation” – I have seen it all.
What I haven´t seen that often though is a product that comes with reasonable claims that are, actually, an understatement!
Like, you read them, are all “Yeah, sounds nice”, test the product and are blown away by what it actually can do for you.
That is how I felt when testing THE INKEY LIST Q10.
What THE INKEY LIST claims
A powerhouse antioxidant, Q10 (also called Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10) is a naturally occurring enzyme found in the body, working in the upper layers of the skin to help prevent and repair damage. However, Q10 levels diminish over time; happily, The Inky List’s sublimely simple Q10 Serum supplements this loss. Q10 promises to protect your skin from damage caused by environmental stressors such as pollution, helping to prevent and repair damage and minimise the signs of ageing that can appear if environmental aggressors have their wicked way with your skin. Thanks to a dual peptide called Syn Tacks, which provides collagen-boosting benefits, squalane and hyaluronic acid, the formula also helps to hydrate your complexion and keep it looking vibrant and youthful.
Prize and size
It isn´t easy to get the right amount out of the bottle, but it is sturdy and travel friendly.
Texture and smell
No noticeable scent and with a yellowish tint, the serum feels like a lightweight lotion.
Application and effects
Easy to spread, sinks in immediately and doesn´t leave stickiness or a residue behind, just smooth and slightly hydrated skin.
It is suitable both morning and night, though I feel like the formula makes it best for the mornings, either on ist own for oily skins like mine or underneath a day cream if your skin is more on the dry side.
- Butylene Glycol: Humectant, penetration enhancer
- Dicaprylyl Carbonate: Emollient
- Caprylic/ Capric Triglyceride: Occlusive
- Dimethicone: Emollient. antiinflammatory
- Caprylyl Glycol: Emollient
- Squalane: Occlusive, non-oily oil, natural in skin
- Soybean (Glycine Soja) Extract: Rich in Vitamin E, B complex and linoleic acid, emollient
- Phospholipids: Part of cellular membrane, repairs skins barrier
- Tocopheryl Acetate: More stable form of Vitamin E, antioxidant
- Ubiquinone: CoQ10, antioxidant, increases collagen and elastin production
- Glycolipids: Emollient
- Palmitoyl Dipeptide-5 Diaminobutyroyl Hydroxythreonine: Peptide, part of Syn-tacks (patented anti aging molecule), stimulating production of Laminin V, Collagen IV, VII and XVII and Integrin ß
- Palmitoyl Dipeptide-6 Diaminohydroxybutyrate: Peptide, second part of of Syn-tacks (patented anti aging molecule), stimulating production of Laminin V, Collagen IV, VII and XVII and Integrin ß
- Radish Root extract: Firming, adstringent
- Hyaluronic Acid: Humectant
- Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer: Thickener
- Lecithin: Emulsifier
- Carbomer: Thickener
- Polysorbate 60 : Thickener
- Disodium EDTA: Binding Agent
- Sodium Hydroxide: pH adjuster, can be irritating
- Phenoxyethanol: Preservative
Even though THE INKEY LIST describes this as a “sublimely simple serum”, I think the formula is far from being simple. It contains a careful blend of antioxidants, humectants, emollients and peptides with Squalane thrown in for good measure. To describe this as antioxidant serum doesn´t do the product justice, it is much more. A lightweight day cream for oily skins in summer, a multipurpose serum for drier skin types and all round beautiful for aging skin.
Does it live up to its claims?
It is an antioxidant powerhouse with a ton of additional benefits.
Would I repurchase?
It works as good (if not better) as many high end serums I have found, and given that it doubles up as day cream for me in summer, I can see it in my routine all year round.
Who do I recommend it to?
Everyone that wants a quick solution to fight premature aging without breaking the bank and spending hours in the bathroom.